Daryl is the only person able to go out and look for Sophia on the first day. He goes out and starts to look for her and finds an old house that she was staying in previously. He walk outside and begins to call for her but she doesn't come, before finding a Cherokee Rose.
Daryl returns to the farmhouse and finds Caryl in the RV, noticing how much nicer it looked. She see's him and just says she cleaned up the place for when Sophia comes back. He jokingly says that he thought he was in the wrong place, then places a bottle with the rose on the counter. She's confused by it, and he explains a superstition behind it. He believe's that the rose grew for Sophia, and she begins to cry. He starts to leave before telling Carol that Sophia's gonna like the RV. She smiles and he leaves.
- Daryl gives Carol the ax that she uses to destroy her husbands head. He watches as she does it.
DEAD OR ALIVE OR
- When Daryl arrives at the Hilltop, Carol runs to him and hugs him
DO NOT SEND US ASTRAY
- Daryl asks Carol if she's okay after she shoots a zombie Tobin
- Daryl – “I’ll go down.”
- Carol – “Even better.”
- Daryl – “Stop.”
- — Seed
- Daryl – “When we were out by the car... what if I didn't show up?”
- Carol – “I still don't know.”
- — Consumed
- Daryl – “We gonna eat or I gotta be a king or something to get food around here?”
- Carol – “Shut up.”
- — New Best Friends
Shipping began during season 2 and quickly became very popular. As the two grew closer more fans became more invested in the pairing. In later seasons, when the story would cause the two to become separated, many fans looked forward to their reunions. A favorite among shippers is the one in the first episode of season 5.
- Both first appear in the episode Tell it to the Frogs.
- Caryl is shipped by Talking Dead host, Chris Hardwick.
- It is also shipped by Talking Dead guest star Yvette Nicole Brown.