The first time they interacted, Mondo lunged at Byakuya Togami for making Chihiro cry. Mondo seems to hold a protective side, especially when it comes to (since he thought Chihiro was a girl) girls, and stood up for him.
The next day, Mondo accidentally shouted and caused Chihiro to cry. Mondo immediately apologizes and promises not to shout again. In hopes of gaining strength, Chihiro would later ask Mondo to train with him, revealing that he was male and wanting to change from being weak to strong.
Mondo, feeling jealous of Chihiro's inner strength in comparison to his own, killed him in a blind rage, with the use of a dumbbell. Mondo soon regretted his actions and attempted to make it up to Chihiro by keeping his secret for as long as possible by switching the crime scene to the girl's changing room and by breaking Chihiro's e-Handbook in the sauna so his gender wouldn't be revealed. Mondo is later executed willingly by Monokuma after being discovered as the culprit.
Sometime after Mondo and Chihiro's deaths, the remaining survivors found a high school picture of the two laughing with Leon Kuwata, possibly meaning that the two were friends prior to the Tragedy. In Danganronpa 3, Mondo is shown working with Chihiro to help seal up the school.
- “...I want to change. I wrapped myself in lies. I'm weak. I want to destroy that version of me forever! I have to change. I don't want to be weak anymore. You're so strong, it can't hurt you, right? Whatever secret Monokuma might tell us...”
- —Chihiro explains his reason to share his secret with Mondo in Chapter 2 of Danganronpa 1.
- “N-No, I just...really admire you. I admire...your strength...”
- —Chihiro admiring Mondo's strength.
The ship sailed as a result of their plot in Chapter 2 of Danganronpa 1. The fact that Chihiro is one of two characters Mondo has the most important interactions with also helped. It was even further fueled with the two being polar opposities with each other, with Chihiro being physically weak but mentally strong and Mondo being physically strong but mentally weak, which made a lot of fans enjoy their dynamics together.
On AO3 it is the most written Chihiro and the second most written for Mondo. Some fan fictions show the alternate timeline where the two actually get to exercise with each other.
- This is one of several Danganronpa ships between a victim and their killer, with the others being Leosaya, Yamaceles, Mahpeko, Tsumionji, Band Aid, Nekodam, Komanami, Nishichino, Amamatsu, Shiromami, Tojoshi, Shinnaga, Iruhara, and Oumota.