Chihiro and Sakura do not interact with each other very frequently throughout Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. In spite of this, the two are still shown to be on friendly terms, and there are a few moments in the game where their companionship is highlighted.
At one point during the first chapter, Sakura tells the others that fighting amongst themselves is exactly what the mastermind wants, to which Chihiro agrees. The following morning, they are both among the group of students who arrive early at the dining hall.
In Chapter 2, when Chihiro suggests that they should start working out in order to get stronger, Sakura gladly offers to help him. However, Hifumi Yamada suggests that Chihiro would be smashed into a billion pieces as a result. Not long afterwards, Chihiro was found dead inside of the girls' locker room. Sakura expressed guilt upon seeing Chihiro's corpse, frustrated that she wasn't able to protect them. During the investigation, Sakura stays behind to guard the crime scene, alongside Mondo Owada. While talking with Makoto Naegi, Sakura mentions that she and Aoi Asahina had invited Chihiro to work out with them multiple times, but she never showed up. She also expresses disturbance in how the locker room she frequented has now become the site of Chihiro's death.
Partway through the Class Trial, Kyoko Kirigiri requests for a brief recession, in order to present a new piece of evidence back at the crime scene. Once everyone has returned to the girls' locker room, Kyoko asks for someone to do a thorough examination of Chihiro's body one more time. Sakura offers to perform this task, believing that Chihiro would be more comfortable if a girl were to examine them. This riles up Genocide Jack, who asks if what they are doing is some kind of secret girl-on-girl action. Through this examination, Sakura discovers that Chihiro was really a boy all along, much to her bewilderment.
- “In that case, I would be happy to help you out anytime.”
- — Sakura offering to help Chihiro exercise.
- “Damn... I couldn't keep her safe...!”
- — Sakura after seeing Chihiro's corpse.
- “I will uncover the villain who performed such heinous acts on a weaker individual...”
- — Sakura determined to uncover Chihiro's killer.
- “...Very well. I'll do it. No, it's okay. I think Chihiro would rather have a girl examine her.”
- — Sakura accepting to examine Chihiro's corpse.
- “I'm sorry Chihiro. Please excuse the intrusion...”
- — Sakura apologizing to Chihiro before handling his body.
The ship sailed likely from how both characters embody the "opposites attract" trope, with Sakura being the fearless, masculine female, and Chihiro being the light-hearted, feminine male. Many fans like to imagine Sakura being protective of Chihiro, as she does display a desire to protect those who are physically weaker than her. Following Chihiro's death at the hands of Mondo, whom was suppose to work out with him, many fans wished that Chihiro had gone to work out with Sakura instead.
The ship isn't very popular in the fandom, as both characters are involved in more popular ships, like Sakuraoi and Chimondo. Many fans still find the pairing to be quite wholesome, and do enjoy both characters being close friends with each other.
- Sakura is the tallest character, while Chihiro is the shortest in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.
- Chihiro and Sakura are next to each other on the Surviving Students splash.