Cloud and Zelda appear together in the Super Smash Bros. series, starting with Super Smash Bros. 4.
Depending on the version of Zelda, both she and Cloud have blond colored hair, light blue eyes, wield a bladed weapon, have ridden on the backs of large birds, wear a pair of earrings, want to be independent without help from their friends and have been apart of groups that fight for the people. In the Super Smash Bros. series, however, the princess is commonly featured as her Twilight Princess self and appearance; which is also one of her few versions that has a sword. While her design in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is mainly based on her A Link Between Worlds appearance, with a few elements from A Link to the Past. Like most Final Fantasy characters, that are or aren't summoners, Cloud is able to summon the recurring summon monsters, while a few versions of Zelda has her with a summon-like ability that she has used to call upon powerful people and beings that would lend her and Link their powers of light.
Due to the Mako poisoning that Cloud suffered from when she fell into the Lifestream, for an extended period of time, in which had caused his identity and personality to be phased through by the millions of souls and their memories coursing through the green colored stream, making it one of the reasons why he saw Zack's memories as his own until he became aware of the affects. Since the spirits of the dead flow through the green colored stream, and Cloud has encountered some of those souls. In Skyward Sword, Zelda went on a journey to waken the sleeping memories of the Goddess Hylia within her, as she is her human incarnation and realising this had gotten Zelda to view her and Hylia as one of the same, while Tetra from The Wind Waker learns that she is Zelda. Another version of Zelda in Spirit Tracks had became a ghost when her soul was taken from her body, and her journey with Link had gotten her to come across over spirits, along with learning about the Spirits of Good from the Legend.
The kingdom crest of Hyrule and the Triforce of Wisdom are commonly seen as Zelda's personal mark, just as the Final Fantasy wolf Fenrir is commonly seen as Cloud's symbol. As they two both have a connection with them. From Zelda being the princess of Hyrule and has been entrusted with the power of the Triforce of Wisdom, while in and after the Final Fantasy film, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, a silver plated Fenrir's head is seen attached to Cloud's Cloudy Wolf attire, that became his main clothing, calls his motorcycle Fenrir and a Fenrir wolf has appeared in the film a few times beside Cloud or in the places that Cloud has been to in the film. Just has the Triforce and Hyrule's royal crest are sometimes part of the design on a few of Zelda's clothes and jewellery. A wolf also has a affiliation with The Legend of Zelda game, Twilight Princess, through Link's wolf form and the Kingdom of Twilight having a legend about a blue eyed beast. Along with there being a few kinds of wolves in Breath of the Wild.
Similarities and Comparison
- Cloud would most likely be a Knight for Zelda, much how Link was in the Zelda games and would protect Zelda from Ganondorf.
- Cloud is mostly mute and rarely speaks, Zelda is lively and typically speaks a lot, Zelda would very likely make Cloud more happy and possibly make him recover from his past such as both Zack and Aerith dying in front of him, on separate occasions.
- Zelda can help Cloud beat Ganondorf or Sephiroith depending on what universe this shipping takes place in by providing him light arrow or a master sword or sealing away Sephiroith or Ganon with the Triforce.
- The brown colored hair of Zelda's Twilight Princess incursion and a few of her version's pink colored dresses would probably remind Cloud of Aerith, just as Cloud's blond hair and eyes would remind Zelda of Link.
- Smash Bros. is similar to the Dissidia series that Cloud has been apart of in the universe of Final Fantasy, as it brings many hero and villain FF characters throughout its many games into one. Just as Smash Bros. bring Nintendo characters together in one battle game series, along with Hyrule Warriors allowing HW Zelda to encounter allies and foes from three/four Zelda timeline eras.
- In Cloud's announcement trailer for Super Smash Bros. 4, Cloud is shown lying on the ground next to Zelda, who is holding a flower.
After Cloud's announcement trailer, there was speculation that Cloud x Zelda could be "Smash canon". While some of the shipping is due to both appearing in Smash, there was already support for the pairing before this. Although not as popular as other crossover shipping like say Link and Peach or Lucina and meta knight , the shipping has gotten a descent amount of attention through the years, mostly when smash bros for Wii U and 3DS came out. Due to not being such a huge shipping it does not have many stories, but one story has Cloud and Zelda meeting in Smash Bros and as the end drew near they didn't not want to leave each other, but were sadly forced to return to their respective universes.
There are a few ways Cloud and Zelda can meet, canonically they met when Cloud was first introduced into Smash, but many fanfictions suggest that they would meet by Cloud having to save Zelda from Sephiroith, and Zelda then falling in love with Cloud, very similar to how Zelda may fall in love with Link in the canon Zelda games, Cloud later in the fanfiction admits his love to Zelda and says he would do anything to stay with her. There is also a few fan art of Cloud and Zelda paired up, such as Zelda and Cloud sitting next to each other, with Cloud putting his buster sword on the ground and sitting near Zelda.
On AO3, the ship only has 3 fanfics.
- Cloud/Zelda tag on AO3
- Cloud/Zelda tag on FanFiction.Net
- Cloud X Zelda On gameFAQ
- Cloud x Zelda on archiveofourown.org
|SHIPS||het||ClouZel • Kurocina • Marthalina • Pitalina|
|slash||Clink • Luimon • SonMario|
|CHARACTERS||male||Cloud Strife • Link • Luigi • Mario • Sonic the Hedgehog|
|female||Princess Daisy • Princess Peach • Zelda|