The two never interacted on-screen, as they were from two separate games. However, they share two events together in Danganronpa V3's bonus mode, Ultimate Talent Development Plan.
In the School Festival Event, Ishimaru is giving a speech about meritocracy. He decides to talk to some of the people in the crowd. He decides to talk to Izuru. Izuru talks about Ishimaru’s ideal and about how he wants a world that rewards effort and the talents are not relied on. Ishimaru is pleased that Izuru was paying attention. But then he told Ishimaru that if that’s what he believes, then he is his enemy. Ishimaru is shocked to hear this and asks him what he means by that. Izuru tells him that he has many talents, every talent that he could think of. Ishimaru tells him that this is impossible and that no one of the sorts exists. Izuru tells him not to waste his time doubting his words. He then tells him that he only has one thing to say to him. He tells him that even if he created his ideal world, it would crumble before someone like him. He also tells him that humans without talents rely on their superiors.
Ishimaru tells him not to mess around with him, still shocked and confused about his comment. He tells Izuru not to underestimate the world. He also tells him that nothing good will come of him abusing others and that he can't abide by a man like him. Izuru tells him that fighting over the truth won't help all of the talentless people out there, which Ishimaru rejects, saying that he has lots of people by his side and that Izuru has no one. Even though Izuru spoke harshly to him, it only strengthened Ishimaru's determination!
They also meet when it is their last winter at the academy. Izuru's classmates invited him to a Christmas party today. When Izuru decides to go back to the dorms, he meets Ishimaru in the hallway. Ishimaru asks him why he's going to the dorms instead of the Christmas party. He then asks him if Izuru let them know that he'd be absent. When he tells him that he'll do it later, Ishimaru calls him irresponsible. Izuru then calls him pushy and asks him if he dislikes him. He tells Ishimaru that he's seen him look at him with hostility the past three years. When Ishimaru confirms this, he begs him not to misunderstand.
Ishimaru tells him that he is frustrated by Izuru because he lacks effort. Izuru asks him if someone as talented as his needs to have effort. Ishimaru then tells him that he has so many talents but no goals or motivations. Izuru tells him that he hasn't been given a purpose. Ishimaru starts to feel bad and tells him that it’s not free will. Izuru asked him what would happen if he used his free will for some evil purpose. Ishimaru tells him that if he dared to step into that path that he would right him. Izuru then told him that he was an annoyance.
- Kamukura – “A world that rewards effort...where those with talent are not relied upon. That is your ideal.”
- Ishimaru – “Correct! Talent alone is not enough to secure a good and just society!”
- Kamukura – “In that case...I am your enemy.”
- Ishimaru – “What...?”
- Kamukura – “I have many talents. Nearly every talent you could think of...”
- — Kamukura telling Ishimaru he is his enemy
- Ishimaru – “D-Don't mess around with me!”
- Kamukura – “...”
- Ishimaru – “I don't know what kind of man you are, but you should not underestimate the world! Nothing good will come of you abusing others! I cannot abide a man like you!”
- Kamukura – “Fighting against the truth on your own will not move all the talentless humans in the world.”
- Ishimaru – “But I am not alone! Many people know the value of hard work! Even with talent...you are just one man. You make mistakes...and then you die.”
- — Ishimaru rejecting Kamukura’s reasoning
- Ishimaru – “Hm? Why are you here, Izuru? Isn't your class having a Christmas party? Did you let them know you'd be absent?”
- Kamukura – “...I'll do that later.”
- Ishimaru – “Irresponsible! That kind of notice needs to be given as soon as possible!”
- Kamukura – “You're quite pushy. Do you dislike me that much?”
- — Kamukura asking Ishimaru if he dislikes him
- Ishimaru – “I deserve that. But let me say this! I *do* get frustrated by you...because I think there is something you lack.”
- Kamukura – “Something I lack? Hm...”
- Ishimaru – “Effort!”
- Kamukura – “Effort? Do you think someone as talented as I need something like that?”
- — Ishimaru telling Kamukura that he lacks Effort
Despair Compass is one of the many ships that sailed as a result of the interactions between characters in Danganronpa V3's bonus mode, Ultimate Talent Development Plan. It is also one of the least popular ships in the community. Nevertheless, their personalities match with each other. Ishimaru being a responsible hopeful student, and Kamukura being dull and bored. Though Kamukura was getting annoyed with Ishimaru, he seemed to still learn from his words.
Since the two only interact with each other in the Ultimate Talent Development Plan, only a tiny part of the community actually ship the two. Additionally, both characters have their much more popular ships with people they interact within their own game. With Kamukura having Kamunami and Kamukoma, and Ishimaru having Ishimondo and Ishikuro.
- Ishimaru and Kamukura’s initials are swapped.
- Ishimaru’s being KI.
- Kamukura’s being IK.
- Both have two different alters.
- Ishimaru has Ishida.
- Kamukura has Hajime.