Aizawa and Hizashi attended U.A. High school together and shared a homeroom, they became quick friends because of Hizashi's outspoken personality paired with Aizawa's quiet, moody one. Hizashi will often enthusiastically tell Aizawa something only for the other man to respond in a deadpan tone, but despite their contrast in personality, Aizawa clearly cares about Hizashi and listens when the latter speaks.
After Shirakumo's death, Aizawa stopped socializing with his classmates less than he already did and spent most of his time training. Hizashi was the only one to stay by his side and try to help him through the pain.
They do not have many canon interactions outside of being co-workers and fellow heroes, but interact seemingly the most out of all the staff. Even though Aizawa likes quiet and prefers to sleep over anything (except cats), He pays no mind to Hizashi’s extreme volume and flamboyance. Although he appears annoyed at times by this, he never truly angers.
Notably, they were also the commenters for the U.A Sports Festival. During Uraraka and Bakugou’s fight, Hizashi heavily sided with Uraraka, going as far as to say negative things about Bakugou. Aizawa disagreed with this, and spoke out against him. This was the only time Aizawa has been genuinely upset by Hizashi.
Chapter 253 reveals dark knowledge to the both of them. They head to Tartarus, only to learn that their good friend who Aizawa had mourned for for so long, was in fact not dead, at least in the way they thought, but instead had been tranformed into a Nomu. To make matters worse, this specific Nomu was Kurogiri of the LoV.
Before the reveal, Aizawa is notably tense and irritated. In an attempt to ground him, Hizashi touches his shoulder, and says his name softly. He succeeds, bringing Aizawa’s composure back. The two are then tasked by the police force to attempt to awaken Shirakumo from where he’s buried deep within Kurogiri's consciousness.
Hazashi also defends Aizawa against people who naysay against his admittedly rash decisions to have expelled so many past students in the past.
The ship is very well-received in the fandom and it is supported by many fans. Mainly, people ship them for their longtime friendship and their contrasting personalities.
They are jokingly referred to as the dads of Class 1-A and Shinso, because of their apparent closeness and supportive teacher roles. Many seeing them as husbands who are already married in the canonverse since they bicker like an "old married couple", with Aizawa blatantly ignoring Hizashi's shenanigans and Hizashi's constant bothering of Aizawa. A very popular headcanon/concept is that they adopt and raise Eri and Shinsou together as their own children.
It is the most popular ship for both characters as well as the fourth most written ship on AO3 for the BNHA tag, which is quite impressive due to them being teachers, rather than students.
- Hizashi's Relationship with Shota Aizawa on the My Hero Academia Wiki
- Shota's Relationship with Hizashi Yamada on the My Hero Academia Wiki
- Hizashi was the one to come up with Aizawa's hero name, Eraserhead.
- The ship name is derived from Aizawa and Hizashi's hero names: Eraserhead and Present Mic.
- They own the archetype of a popular trope amongst MHA shippers, the “loud blonde x dark-haired grump”. Common ships that fit into this are KamiShin, KamiJirou, & KiriBaku, despite Kirishima’s rather bright hair.
- Aizawa Family refers to the family ship between Shota Aizawa, Hizashi Yamada, Hitoshi Shinso and Eri
- EraserCloudMic refers to the ship between Shota Aizawa, Oboro Shirakumo and Hizashi Yamada
- Rooftop Squad refers to the friendship between Hizashi Yamada, Shota Aizawa, Nemuri Kayama, and Oboro Shirakumo