Aizawa and Hizashi attended U.A. High school together and shared a homeroom, they became quick friends because of Hizashi's outspoken personality paired with Aizawa's quiet, moody one. Hizashi will often enthusiastically tell Aizawa something only for the other man to respond in a deadpan tone, but despite their contrast in personality, Aizawa clearly cares about Hizashi and listens when the latter speaks.
At some point during his time at UA, Hizashi gave Aizawa his hero name "Eraser Head" and although Aizawa said at some point in the series that it was a bad name, he never changed it or seemed to care what name Hizashi picked for him. After Oboro Shirakumo's death, Aizawa stopped socializing with his classmates less than he already did and spent most of his time training. Hizashi was the only one to stay by his side and try to help him through the pain.
They do not have many canon interactions outside of being co-workers and fellow heroes, but interact seemingly the most out of all the staff. Even though Aizawa likes quiet and prefers to sleep over anything (except cats), He pays no mind to Hizashi’s extreme volume and flamboyance. Although he appears annoyed at times by this, he never truly angers.
Notably, they were also the commenters for the U.A Sports Festival. During Uraraka and Bakugou’s fight, Hizashi heavily sided with Uraraka, going as far as to say negative things about Bakugou. Aizawa disagreed with this, and spoke out against him. This was the only time Aizawa has been genuinely upset by Hizashi.
When the meeting about the Joint Training Battle ended, Aizawa and Hizashi calmly walked through the corridors of the U.A. and Hizashi notices the similarities between Hitoshi Shinso and Aizawa in his youth, and asks if he has taken him as a pupil for that reason, although he also asks if he does it for Shirakumo. Aizawa requests that if he wants to say something he should keep it short, as Aizawa has somewhere to be. Hizashi evades the question saying that he was just reminiscing.
Chapter 253 reveals dark knowledge to the both of them. They head to Tartarus, only to learn that their good friend who Aizawa had mourned for for so long, was in fact not dead, at least in the way they thought, but instead had been tranformed into a Nomu. To make matters worse, this specific Nomu was Kurogiri of the LoV. Before the reveal, Aizawa is notably tense and irritated. In an attempt to ground him, Hizashi touches his shoulder, and says his name softly. He succeeds, bringing Aizawa’s composure back. The two are then tasked by the police force to attempt to awaken Shirakumo from where he’s buried deep within Kurogiri's consciousness.
Hazashi also defends Aizawa against people who naysay against his admittedly rash decisions to have expelled so many past students in the past. Some time before the operation against the Paranormal Liberation Front, Aizawa spoke with Hizashi and told him that if he goes he will follow him.
During the Paranormal Liberation War, Aizawa and Hizashi participated in the attack on the hospital and Aizawa told Hizashi that he was counting on him to catch Doctor Garaki. Later, Hizashi meets Doctor Garaki again, and when the opportunity presents itself, he uses DJ Punch on Garaki as revenge for what he did to Oboro and make his friend cry, referring to Aizawa. The two do not interact again until the war ends and Hizashi can be seen accompanying Aizawa in the hospital, Hizashi is still mourning the death of Kayama but Aizawa silences him and asks how his students are.
The ship is very well-received in the fandom and it is supported by many fans. Mainly, people ship them for their longtime friendship and their contrasting personalities.
They are jokingly referred to as the dads of Class 1-A and Shinso, because of their apparent closeness and supportive teacher roles. Many seeing them as husbands who are already married in the canonverse since they bicker like an "old married couple", with Aizawa blatantly ignoring Hizashi's shenanigans and Hizashi's constant bothering of Aizawa. A very popular headcanon/concept is that they adopt and raise Eri and Shinsou together as their own children.
It is the most popular ship for both characters as well as the fourth most written ship on AO3 for the BNHA tag, which is quite impressive due to them being teachers, rather than students.
- Hizashi's Relationship with Shota Aizawa on the My Hero Academia Wiki
- Shota's Relationship with Hizashi Yamada on the My Hero Academia Wiki
- Hizashi was the one to come up with Aizawa's hero name, Eraserhead.
- The ship name is derived from Aizawa and Hizashi's hero names: Eraserhead and Present Mic.
- They own the archetype of a popular trope amongst MHA shippers, the “loud blonde x dark-haired grump”. Common ships that fit into this are KamiShin, KamiJirou, & KiriBaku, despite Kirishima’s rather bright hair.
- Christopher Wehkamp, who is the English voice of Shota Aizawa, says such words about EraserMic family: "As far as EraserMic goes, I love it. And I love the fact that our sensei seems to have a little makeshift family...I hope it last forever. And ever"
- In one of the light novels, while Aizawa, Yamada and Toshinori are having dinner, Yagi asks Hizashi how much he goes drinking with Shota: "Sometimes! I invite this guy out plenty enough, but he's a tough nut to crack!"...Then All Might wonders how did them, opposite to each other people, become friends. "Well, my friend here never seemed to have much to say, so I figured out it was my job to chat him up and loosen his nerves!" - says Mic, while his best friend denies it. Also, Yamada mentions that Aizawa was doing everything on minimum when he was a student, so that's why everyone in class were calling him 'Power-Saver Sho'. But, actually, Mic was the first who gave him such a nickname...And the others like 'Prince of Slumberland' a.k.a. 'P.O.S.', 'Snooze Master'...The list would be longer if Shota didn't shut him up: "Not another word".
- Main article: EraserMic/Gallery
- Aizawa Family refers to the family ship between Shota Aizawa, Hizashi Yamada, Hitoshi Shinso and Eri
- EraserCloudMic refers to the ship between Shota Aizawa, Oboro Shirakumo and Hizashi Yamada
- Rooftop Squad refers to the friendship between Hizashi Yamada, Shota Aizawa, Nemuri Kayama, and Oboro Shirakumo