EraserMic is the slash ship between Shota Aizawa and Hizashi Yamada from the My Hero Academia fandom.
Aizawa and Hizashi attended U.A. High school together and shared a homeroom, they became quick friends because of Hizashi's outspoken personality paired with Aizawa's quiet, moody one. Hizashi will often enthusiastically tell Aizawa something only for the other man to respond in a deadpan tone, but despite their contrast in personality, Aizawa clearly cares about Hizashi and listens when the latter speaks.
They do not have many canon interactions outside of being co-workers and fellow heroes, but interact seemingly the most out of all the staff. Even though Aizawa likes quiet and prefers to sleep over anything (except cats), He pays no mind to Hizashi’s extreme volume and flamboyance. Although he appears annoyed at times by this, he never truly angers.
In the Novels it is revealed that Hizashi likes to constantly tease Aizawa, but never with malicious intent. Hizashi teases Aizawa by giving him Embarrassing Nicknames, singing and rapping in Aizawa's ears while he's trying to nap, and dragging him into conversations he wants no part in. Aizawa responds to this by placing Hizashi in choke holds until he shuts up (which usually fails in the long-term, anyways). Despite this, they're the other's closest confidante and are incredibly in tune with each other's fighting styles.
At some point during his time at U.A., Hizashi gave Aizawa his hero name "Eraser Head" and although Aizawa said at some point in the series that it was a bad name, he never changed it or seemed to care what name Hizashi picked for him. During his second year, Aizawa began to have doubts about his ability to become a hero. One day, Hizashi pointed out Shota's gloomy demeanor arriving late and feeling powerless and tried to cheer him up with bad jokes, with Oboro Shirakumo joining them minutes later.
When Oboro died after Garvey's attack, Hizashi accompanied Aizawa to mourn the loss of his friend and they gazed at the place where Oboro died for hours in the rain, even after Oboro's body was removed from the area. After Oboro's death, Aizawa stopped socializing with his classmates less than he already did and spent most of his time training. Hizashi was the only one to stay by his side and try to help him through the pain. Years later, Hizashi and Nemuri Kayama convince Aizawa to become a professor at U.A., with Nemuri replying to Aizawa that according to Hizashi he just needs a good push to act. Although Aizawa is annoyed by Hizashi's comments and Nemuri's insistence, after re-thinking, he accepts the offer to be a teacher (indirectly giving Aizawa the opportunity to meet Class 1-A in the future).
At U.A. High, Hizashi loudly shows up to Aizawa and asks if they can go out to eat, but is turned down, with Aizawa mentioning how he has been subbing for Midnight after she had to step out temporarily. Hizashi pulls out an earbud and learns that Aizawa has been listening to the Naruhata news stations and teases him for worrying about the situation down there, to which he denies. Hizashi continues teasing, saying that if he cares about his friends there so much he should just babysit them, while Aizawa responds, "I'm not their teacher," amusing Hizashi.
The first interaction between them in the canon was when reporters invaded U.A. before the League of Villains attack on U.S.J. Where Aizawa and Hizashi were trying to get the media out of the property, but as they refused to leave, Hizashi suggested that they be beaten for trespassing. But Aizawa stops him because such a situation could have resulted in widespread negative publicity and tells him to wait for the police to arrive.
Notably, they were also the commenters for the U.A Sports Festival, sitting side by side. Hizashi acts as the commentator and main announcer for the UA Sports Festival and at some point he managed to convince Aizawa to comment alongside him, despite Aizawa's notorious hatred of the media. While they were commentators, there were various taunts and jokes from Hizashi towards Aizawa but also compliments from Hizashi towards Aizawa's students. During Uraraka and Bakugou’s fight, Hizashi heavily sided with Uraraka, going as far as to say negative things about Bakugou. Aizawa disagreed with this, and spoke out against him. This was the only time Aizawa has been genuinely upset by Hizashi.
When the meeting about the Joint Training Battle ended, Aizawa and Hizashi calmly walked through the corridors of the U.A. and Hizashi notices the similarities between Hitoshi Shinso and Aizawa in his youth, and asks if he has taken him as a pupil for that reason, although he also asks if he does it for Shirakumo. Aizawa requests that if he wants to say something he should keep it short, as Aizawa has somewhere to be. Hizashi evades the question saying that he was just reminiscing.
Aizawa and Hizashi are called to Tartarus and while they were in the car, Aizawa tells Hizashi that he should drive faster and turns to look at him, only to be surprised that Hizashi is just as angry as him and wishing it was all a huge misunderstanding. Already in the Tartarus, Naomasa and Gran Torino reveal a dark knowledge for both. They discover that their good friend, who Aizawa had mourned for for so long, was in fact not dead, at least in the way they thought, but instead had been tranformed into a Nomu. To make matters worse, this specific Nomu was Kurogiri of the League of Villains. Before the reveal, Aizawa is notably tense and irritated. In an attempt to ground him, Hizashi touches his shoulder, and says his name softly. He succeeds, bringing Aizawa’s composure back. The two are then tasked by the police force to attempt to awaken Shirakumo from where he’s buried deep within Kurogiri's consciousness.
Hazashi also defends Aizawa against people who naysay against his admittedly rash decisions to have expelled so many past students in the past. After trying to awaken Oboro's consciousness from Kurogiri, Hizashi expresses his concern towards Aizawa's eyes, as he had used Quirk the entire time, while the latter says that his eyes are dry while crying. When they return to U.A., Aizawa and Hizashi rest in the hallway. Aizawa asking Hizashi what he would do if they were to discover where the Nomu are being made. Hizashi angrily gives a sarcastic response before turning the question on Aizawa.
Some time before the operation against the Paranormal Liberation Front, Aizawa spoke with Hizashi and told him that if he went on the mission he would follow him. During the Paranormal Liberation War, Aizawa and Hizashi participated in the attack on the hospital and sought revenge for what happened to their friend, Oboro. When the Heroes were fighting the High-Ends, Aizawa told Hizashi that he was counting on him to catch Doctor Garaki. Later, Hizashi meets Doctor Garaki again, and when the opportunity presents itself, he uses DJ Punch on Garaki as revenge for what he did to Oboro and make his friend cry, referring to Aizawa. The two do not interact again until the war ends and Hizashi can be seen accompanying Aizawa in the hospital, Hizashi is still mourning the death of Kayama but Aizawa silences him and asks how his students are.
The ship is very well-received in the fandom and it is supported by many fans. Mainly, people ship them for their longtime friendship and their contrasting personalities.
They are jokingly referred to as the dads of Class 1-A and Shinso, because of their apparent closeness and supportive teacher roles. Many seeing them as husbands who are already married in the canonverse since they bicker like an "old married couple", with Aizawa blatantly ignoring Hizashi's shenanigans and Hizashi's constant bothering of Aizawa. A very popular headcanon/concept is that they adopt and raise Eri and Shinsou together as their own children.
It is the most popular ship for both characters as well as the fourth most written ship on AO3 for the BNHA tag, which is quite impressive due to them being teachers, rather than students.
- Hizashi/Aizawa tag on AO3
- Hizashi & Aizawa tag on AO3
- Shota/Hizashi tag on FanFiction.Net
- EraserMic stories on Wattpad
- Aizawa x Yamada tag on Wattpad
- マイ相 tag on Tumblr
- EraserMic posts on Tumblr
- Eraserhead x Present Mic tag on Tumblr
- マイ相 posts on Twitter
- EraserMic posts on Twitter
- Eraserhead x Present Mic tag on Twitter
- マイ相 tag on Pixiv
- 相マイ tag on Pixiv
- EraserMic tag on Pixiv
- EraserMic tag on DeviantArt
- Aizawa x Yamada fanclub on DeviantArt
- EraserMic tag on TikTok
- EraserMic community on Reddit
- Hizashi's Relationship with Shota Aizawa on the My Hero Academia Wiki
- Shota's Relationship with Hizashi Yamada on the My Hero Academia Wiki
- Hizashi was the one to come up with Aizawa's hero name, Eraserhead.
- The ship name is derived from Aizawa and Hizashi's hero names: Eraserhead and Present Mic.
- They own the archetype of a popular trope amongst MHA shippers, the “loud blonde x dark-haired grump”. Common ships that fit into this are KamiShin, KamiJirou, MiriTama & KiriBaku, despite Kirishima’s rather bright hair.
- Christopher Wehkamp, who is the English voice of Shota Aizawa, says such words about EraserMic family: "As far as EraserMic goes, I love it. And I love the fact that our sensei seems to have a little makeshift family...I hope it last forever. And ever"
- In one of the light novels, while Aizawa, Yamada and Toshinori are having dinner, Yagi asks Hizashi how much he goes drinking with Shota: "Sometimes! I invite this guy out plenty enough, but he's a tough nut to crack!"...Then All Might wonders how did them, opposite to each other people, become friends. "Well, my friend here never seemed to have much to say, so I figured out it was my job to chat him up and loosen his nerves!" - says Mic, while his best friend denies it. Also, Yamada mentions that Aizawa was doing everything on minimum when he was a student, so that's why everyone in class were calling him 'Power-Saver Sho'. But, actually, Mic was the first who gave him such a nickname...And the others like 'Prince of Slumberland' a.k.a. 'P.O.S.', 'Snooze Master'...The list would be longer if Shota didn't shut him up: "Not another word".
- In One's Justice 2 in of the Present Mic voice lines, Hizashi calls Aizawa 'baby': "Come on! Drink in the good vibes! Learn to smile some, baby!"
- Main article: EraserMic/Gallery
ERASERMIC MEGA COMPILATION
Mistletoe Fiasco (EraserMic MHA Comic Dub)
Eraserhead x Present Mic's Friendship - My Hero Academia
Eraserhead dealing with present mic for 3 minutes - erasermic (dub)
Aizawa and Present Mic - Friendship Moment
Erasermic first kiss - My Hero Academia Comic Dub
-Looking at me- SD Aizawa Shota-Yamada Hizashi
Aizawa VS Hizashi (MHA Comic Dub)
- Erasermic Family refers to the family ship between Shota Aizawa, Hizashi Yamada, Hitoshi Shinso and Eri
- EraserCloudMic refers to the ship between Shota Aizawa, Oboro Shirakumo and Hizashi Yamada
- Rooftop Squad refers to the friendship between Hizashi Yamada, Shota Aizawa, Nemuri Kayama, and Oboro Shirakumo