Flint and Wood are rival Quidditch captains of the Slytherin and Gryffindor teams. Both Flint and Wood likely shared lessons with each other, and a rivalry between the two brewed after they became captains of their opposing teams. Flint is a chaser, whereas Wood is a keeper. These positions are usually in direct opposition while on the field, since the keeper guards the goals and the chaser attempts to score.
They have a hostile relationship with each other and each are shown to be competitive in regards to Quidditch. Flint is known to be violent Quidditch player, even earning himself a foul from Madam Hooch after he attempted to block Harry Potter in a match during Harry’s first year. In appearance, Flint is larger than Wood.
In the movie Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Wood smirks at Flint after blocking a goal Flint attempted.
In Flint and Wood’s sixth year at Hogwarts, the pair have a disagreement over who booked the Quidditch field. Wood was dismayed to find that Flint was on the field and with clear anger told him to clear off. Flint only joked that they could both use the field and further explained that Professor Snape had booked the court for them, bringing an end to the argument. Wood learns from Flint that the Slytherin team had employed Draco as a new seeker. Flint casually boasts about Malfoy’s Nimbus Two Thousand and One broom, likely in attempt to make Wood jealous.
Later, Flint and Wood both play in the Slytherin vs Gryffindor match. Madam Hooch asked both of them to shake hands, which they both do while giving each other threatening stares and gripping harder than necessary.
- Wood – “Flint! This is our practice time! We got up specially! ... You can clear off now!”
- Flint – “Plenty of room for all of us, Wood.”
- Wood – “But I booked the field! ... I booked it!”
- Flint – “Ah, ... But I’ve got a specially signed note here from Professor Snape.”
- — Flint and Wood arguing
- “Madam Hooch, the Quidditch teacher, asked Flint and Wood to shake hands, which they did, giving each other threatening stares and gripping rather harder than was necessary.”
- — Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Flintwood is a rarepair ship, but does have a decent amount of popularity and is a somewhat notable HP slash pairing.
It is an akin to the popular pairing Drarry, with Flint and Wood also coming from the rival houses Slytherin and Gryffindor. This rivalry goes a little further since both are captains of their respective Quidditch team, and so their rivalry in centred more around Quidditch. Many fans ship them due to this Quidditch rivalry (that beckons similarity to real-world sport rivalries) and the popularity of the enemies to lovers trope.
Back during LiveJournal era of fandom when ship mainfestos were still popular, user Sam (apillarofsalt) wrote an Oliver/Marcus manifesto where she spoke about how they ‘complimented’ each other well. She said the following:
- “They're authority figures, but how they run their teams are vastly different. Oliver is the model of order, having rigidly scheduled practices and tactics, while Marcus is the model of chaos, taking great joy in disrupting Oliver's schedule ever chance he can. [...] They're compliments, moreso than, I think, anyone else in the books. Order and chaos, war and peace. One can't exist without the other, etc.”
- — Sam (apillarofsalt)
In fanfiction, Flintwood fics are most commonly related to Quidditch, and particularly the boys almost-unhealthy obsession with the game. Fics are usually set either during either canon of the first three books (where the pair are in their final years at Hogwarts) or after the pair leave Hogwarts. In canon, only Oliver is known to have gone Quidditch pro and join the Puddlemere United team. It is unknown what happened to Marcus, but fanfics often explore the idea that Marcus also went pro, often with Falmouth Falcons, due to their reputation for being violent.
The ship occasionally rivals the somewhat more common Perciver ship. Percy is even sometimes depicted as a rival for Oliver's affection in some Flintwood fics. On AO3, Flinwood is the most written ship Marcus and the second most written for Oliver. It currently has over 800 fics on the site.
- Oliver’s first name means ‘peace’, and Marcus means ‘war’. These are polar opposites of each other. Similarly, a ‘flint’ is something used to start a fire with ‘wood’.
- This naming could be seen as puns related to Flintwood’s rivalry.
- Percivercus refers to the ship between Percy Weasley Oliver and Marcus.
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 11: Quidditch
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 7 (Mudbloods and Murmors)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 10 (The Rouge Bludger)
- Oliver Wood/Marcus Flint (Harry Potter) at The Shipper’s Manifesto (2004)
|SHIPS||het||Bellamort • Billdora • Charry • Georgelina • Harmony • Hinny|
Huna • Jakweenie • Jily • Lovander • Marthur • Nadence
Newta • Newtina • Perdrey • Ravender • Red Moon • Remadora • Romione • Scabmione • Scorose • Snily
Tedoire • Tedromeda • Theta
|slash||Deamus • Drarry • Flintwood • Grindeldore • Scorbus • Starbucks • Tomarry • Wolfstar|
|femslash||Bellamione • Parkwood • TNT|
|non-binary||Barnaby x MC • Bill x MC • Charlie x MC • Chiara x MC • Felix x MC • Penny x MC • Rowan x MC • Talbott x MC|