Prior to the Tragedy, Sayaka and Ayaka were members of a famous idol group in Japan. The two have been performing together since they were both very young, with Sayaka acting as the group's lead vocalist, while Ayaka assumed a corner position, much to her concern. Despite this, the two seemed to greatly enjoy their time together in their group, and always appeared to be happy and cheerful.
While little is known about the relationship between the two girls, they were apparently very close friends, as Sayaka states that everyone in her group means a lot to her, and that she views them as family, but also rivals in a way. Ayaka, along with the other members of their group, appeared in a video recording that was used to motivate Sayaka into committing murder as part of the Killing School Life. This motive ended up working, but Sayaka's plan backfired when her target overpowered and killed her themselves.
Ayaka would later become a target of the Warriors of Hope's Demon Hunting, where she was planned to be killed alongside other close friends and family members of the participants of the Killing School Life. Being selected over the other three members in their idol group may suggest that Ayaka was the closest to Sayaka. Ayaka managed to survive, but it is unknown if she is aware of Sayaka's fate.
The ship is incredibly obscure and not very popular at all in the fandom. This is largely because very little is known about Ayaka and her relationship with Sayaka, even though she is more prominent than the other members of their idol group. There is also little that suggests that Ayaka was any more important to Sayaka than the other members of their group.
- Ayaka's relationship with Sayaka on Danganronpa Wiki
- Sayaka's relationship with her idol group on Danganronpa Wiki
- Both Sayaka and Ayaka have very similar-sounding first names, both containing "ayaka."
- Both Sayaka and Ayaka are described as having a sweet scent, a trait that is likely shared by all of the members of their idol group, due to an expensive perfume.
- Ayaka's addition as Sayaka's hit list target was apparently a last minute change, as the artbook depicts Sayaka's target as being her younger sister. This character was most likely scrapped because the developers realized that giving Sayaka a sibling would contradict her statement of being an only child.