Makoto put Izuru Kamukura and the other Remnants of Despair in the Neo World Program. After waking up from the program, Izuru who successfully restored his previous identity, Hajime, brought his classmates to help Makoto to prevent Ryota from using his brainwashing video. Hajime is very thankful to Makoto, because of his hope his classmates return to their original personalities before being brainwashed by Junko Enoshima.
They share one event in Danganronpa V3's bonus mode, Ultimate Talent Development Plan, with Shuichi Saihara, where the three protagonists talk about giving gifts for their friends. They also have one more event together without Shuichi, where they try to solve the puzzles of an escape room.
Their similarities include their somewhat similar designs, especially the hairstyle, their shared roles of the protagonists of their respective game and anime titles, and both losing their implied love interests during the killing games.
The ship sailed as a result of both being the protagonists of two consecutive games. Some slight similarities in their designs, personalities, and roles listed above also helped to further fuel the ship. Their roles as fellow protagonists of respective Danganronpa entries allowed them to appear on a lot of promotional art together.
However, while their similar roles make this a fairly popular ship, it's still not as popular as some other ships of both characters. The fact that the two have only two minor interactions on-screen in the canon is partly to blame. Another reason is both being a Launcher of a Thousand Ships due to having Free Time Events available with all of their classmates in their respective games. Furthermore, both having canon implied love interests (Sayaka and later Kyoko for Makoto, AI Chiaki and Chiaki for Hajime).
Fan arts would often show them in their "No, that's wrong!" poses together, referencing their roles as the main characters to solve the mysteries at the Class Trials. Sometimes they're shown along with the other "Trial Point Getters". Some other, however, depict Makoto's encounter with Izuru Kamukura, Hajime's alter ego.
- Naegi/Hinata tag on AO3
- Naegi/Hinata tag on FanFiction.Net
- Hajime/Makoto tag on FanFiction.Net
- Makoto/Hajime tag on FanFiction.Net
- Hajime's relationship with Makoto on Danganronpa Wiki
- Makoto's relationship with Hajime on Danganronpa Wiki
- They are both the protagonists of their respective games (Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair).
- They're also the protagonists of the two respective sides of Danganronpa 3 anime, with Makoto being the protagonist of Future Arc and Hajime/Izuru being the protagonist of Despair Arc.
- Both are among five characters who have participated in two killing games, with the others being Aoi Asahina, Kyoko Kirigiri, and Rantaro Amami.
- Both are also two of four characters to have not only participated in two killing games, but also survive both of them, with the others being Aoi Asahina and Kyoko Kirigiri.