Nagito idolizes Makoto due to him being the Ultimate Hope, calling him a "hero" and "the symbol of hope" in Another Episode.
It is possible that Makoto defeating Junko Enoshima has affected Nagito's way of thinking, as in Another Episode he appears to have more belief in talentless people and he also respects Makoto's talent as the Ultimate Lucky Student, despite appearing condescending towards his own talent which is the same.
in Super Danganronpa 2.5: Komaeda Nagito to Sekai no Hakaimono, Nagito is shown to have a glorified view of Makoto as seen in the way the dream word shows him as a confident charming ladies man, as contrast to the real Makoto's awkwardness and lack of self confidence
When the two meet outside the Future Foundation headquarters, Nagito gushes to Makoto about how wonderful he is, and even says that Makoto's luck might be greater than his own. He takes Makoto's hand and looks at him intently, but he is quickly carried away by Nekomaru Nidai and Akane Owari. He tells Makoto that hopefully they'll meet again. In the English dub, he marvels how soft Makoto's hands were, especially when compared to his own sticky hands.
In the canon timeline Nagito clearly sees Makoto's luck as far greater than his own, however interestingly in Ultimate Talent Development Plan, Makoto says that he feels that Nagito's luck is better than his own.
As a character, Nagito is a darker parallel to Makoto and was originally supposed to look even more like him.
- “Her brother, a hero, the Symbol of Hope.”
- — Nagito about Makoto, Komaru's brother, while explaining his motives in Chapter 4 of Ultra Despair Girls.
- “Hello, Makoto Naegi! You bear good luck, just like I do... No, a luck that far exceeds my own. I am so lucky to have such a splendid underclassman.”
- — Nagito upon meeting Makoto in Hope Arc.
The ship has sailed back when Danganronpa 2 was released, as a result of the two sharing their talent and Nagito idolizing hope, in which Makoto also believed in and which eventually became his changed title.
Nagito's unhealthy obsession with Makoto Naegi and his achievements, which causes him to target Komaru Naegi as a protagonist of his scheme, has led some fans to abandoning the ship. Nonetheless, some fans stayed loyal to the ship. For them, their first interaction on-screen in Hope Arc fueled the ship even more, especially since it portrayed Nagito's obsession with Makoto in a more positive and comedic way.
- Nagito/Makoto tag on AO3
- Naegi/Komaeda tag on FanFiction.Net
- Nagito/Makoto tag on FanFiction.Net
- Makoto/Nagito tag on FanFiction.Net
- Before Makoto's title is switched to the Ultimate Hope, both share the same title as the Ultimate Lucky Student. However, Nagito's luck appears to be greater than Makoto's, as Makoto experiences only a few instances of insane luck in the series, whereas Nagito experiences it on regular basis.
- They share the same voice actress (Megumi Ogata) in the Japanese version and the same voice actor (Bryce Papenbrook) in the English version.
- Interestingly, some fans theorized that Nagito might have actually been Makoto Naegi due to having the same talent, voice actress/actor in both versions, and his full name being an acronym for "Makoto Naegi da" ("I'm Makoto Naegi"). The theories were later debunked by the plot.
- Both were playable characters at some point in the series, with Makoto being the main protagonist of Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Nagito being playable for a part of Chapter 4's Deadly Life in Super Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.