Mahiru Koizumi is a character from the Danganronpa fandom.
Mahiru Koizumi is one of the students featured in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. A student of Hope's Peak Academy, Mahiru is called the Ultimate Photographer and is a participant in the Killing School Trip.
In Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy, Mahiru is still the Ultimate Photographer, enrolled in Class 77-B along with her other classmates at Hope's Peak Academy.
She, along with her classmates, were brainwashed by Junko Enoshima into becoming her Ultimate Despair. Following the fall of Hope's Peak and the beginning of The Tragedy, Koizumi joined the rest of the Ultimate Despair in spreading chaos across the ruined world. She was eventually apprehended by the Future Foundation and put into the Neo World Program for rehabilitation.
During the events of the Killing School Trip, Mahiru was presented with the Twilight Syndrome Murder Case motive. In the second chapter of the game, she attempted to address the motive with the real-life counterparts to the video game presented by Monokuma. Unfortunately, however, during her confrontation of Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu, Mahiru was bludgeoned to death by his bodyguard, Peko Pekoyama.
Mahiru later awakens with the rest of her classmates and helps them stop Ryota Mitarai from using the Hope Video to brainwash the world. With the other awakened Remnants of Despair, Mahiru chooses to atone for her sins as a despair.
- Gohiru — the ship between Mahiru and Gonta Gokuhara
- Gunhiru — the ship between Mahiru and Gundham Tanaka
- Hinazumi — the ship between Mahiru and Hajime Hinata
- Kazukoi — the ship between Mahiru and Kazuichi Soda
- Koizuryuu — the ship between Mahiru and Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu
- Komahiru — the ship between Mahiru and Nagito Komaeda
- Ranzumi — the ship between Mahiru and Rantaro Amami
- Birthday Girls — the ship between Mahiru and Aoi Asahina
- Chabazumi — the ship between Mahiru and Tenko Chabashira
- Mahiruma — the ship between Mahiru and Miu Iruma
- Mahpeko — the ship between Mahiru and Peko Pekoyama
- Mahto — the ship between Mahiru and Sato
- Natsuhiru — the ship between Mahiru and Natsumi Kuzuryu
- Photo Album — the ship between Mahiru and Ibuki Mioda
- Snap Shot — the ship between Mahiru and Mikan Tsumiki
- Soapies — the ship between Mahiru and Hiyoko Saionji
- Hiymahsouda — the ship between Mahiru, Hiyoko Saionji and Kazuichi Soda
- Koizumikioda — the ship between Mahiru, Ibuki Mioda and Mikan Tsumiki
- Mahiyenko — the ship between Mahiru, Hiyoko Saionji and Tenko Chabashira
- Mahsumisato — the ship between Mahiru, Natsumi Kuzuryu and Sato
- Twilight Syndrome Girls — the friendship between Mahiru, Ibuki Mioda, Hiyoko Saionji and Mikan Tsumiki
Mahiru is a divisive character in Danganronpa's fandom. With her early death as the victim of the second chapter, and her rather plain and more regular personality and character design; she gets easily forgotten in a cast full of characters with colorful personalities. As such, she's rather forgotten or unnoticed by a huge part of the fanbase.
Her fans like her for being one of the more normal students, her motherly nature, her friendship with Hiyoko, being fairly useful and active in the only Class Trial she got to participate in, as well as her Free Time Events fleshing out her character more.
Her haters dislike her for lacking a quirk that makes her forgettable in a cast full of interesting characters, her harsh attitude towards the boys (which might or might not be forgiven by some when learning her reason for it in her Free Time Events, or when comparing it to Tenko Chabashira's irrational hatred for men), her kicking Hajime Hinata out of a girls-only meeting but only after getting him to help her cook for it, as well as her out of all people not standing up for Mikan Tsumiki who was bullied by Hiyoko, despite being Hiyoko's best friend and having the best chances at lecturing her. The latter issue is also further criticized when Mahiru hypocritically defends Hiyoko after the others tell her she smells at the start of Chapter 2, even though she never defends the people Hiyoko bullies herself, and even though the others were actually raising a reasonable concern of Saionji's health and well-being rather than bullying her.
- Mahiru shares the same birthday with Aoi Asahina from Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.