Ibuki appears to be attracted to Peko, and seems to admire her strong and stoic personality, finding it to be cool. Peko, on the other hand, isn't fond of Ibuki's overly energetic and silly behavior, but willingly tolerates it.
In Chapter 1, when Peko offers to be on guard duty, Ibuki expresses concern over her being all by herself. However, Peko ensures her that she doesn't mind. After she leaves the room, Ibuki grins and mutters to herself that she feels Peko has "this super cool, melancholy vibe."
In a Special Event during the first chapter, the two are walking together on the beach when they meet Hajime Hinata, Kazuichi Soda and Teruteru Hanamura. Ibuki winks and claims she was holding hands with Peko, though Peko stoically denies this and tells Teruteru not to fantasize about weird things when he imagines the two girls having sex. When Peko talks about splitting open a coconut and describes how she wouldn't make a mistake with a sword, Ibuki gets really excited, screaming that she's so cool and that she might fall in love with her quiet words. After splitting the coconut in half, Ibuki compliments Peko on her success and tries to give her a high five while referring to her as "Peko-Peko." Peko mostly ignores her behavior.
In Chapter 2, Peko arrives in a swimsuit at the diner to meet up with the other girls to go swimming. Kazuichi is there and says to Hajime that a woman with wet, slicked back hair is pretty nice. Ibuki adds on by saying her body is pretty fine too.
In episode 6 of Despair Arc, Ibuki notices Peko and Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu talking amongst themselves, and abruptly intervenes on their conversation. Ibuki can be seen blushing when she leans in close to Peko, who also blushes slightly.
In Ultimate Talent Development Plan, after the winter closing ceremony, Ibuki asks Peko to walk home together. Ibuki tells Peko that even though Christmas was just yesterday, she's all ready for next year's. Peko says that the party they had was fun, but thinks that Ibuki is getting ahead of herself. She does, however, agree that it was enjoyable, which makes Ibuki happy. The two promise that they'll both come to next year's gathering.
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
- “I was holding hands with Peko and going for a walk when I saw you guys!”
- — Ibuki claiming that she and Peko were holding hands.
- “Kyeaaaah! So coooool! I might just fall in love with those quiet words of yours!”
- — Ibuki gushing over Peko's words.
- “But it'll be lonely there by yourself.”
- — Ibuki concerned over Peko being on her own.
- “Mmm, seeing Peko's back as she walks away makes me feel like she's got this super cool, melancholy vibe...”
- — Ibuki admiring Peko's vibe.
- “And this body too... man...”
- — Ibuki admiring Peko in a swimsuit.
Ultimate Talent Development Plan
- “Oh, you agree with Ibuki!? That makes me oh so happy!”
- — Ibuki overjoyed that Peko agrees that the party was fun.
- “Yes. No matter what I'm doing this time next year... I'll definitely come to our gathering.”
- — Peko promising Ibuki that she'll attend next year's party.
Ibuki is loud, cheerful and goofy, while Peko is calm, quiet and serious. Some fans consider this a perfect example of the "opposites attract" trope. The ship mainly caught attention with the Special Event in Chapter 1, due to Ibuki claiming she held hands with Peko, and the latter telling Teruteru not to get perverted thoughts about the two. Another contributor to the ship was Ibuki's consistent admiration of Peko's traits. Mainly her stoicism, speech style, perceived independence, and even physical attraction to her body. The ship is sometimes compared to Twobuki, because Ibuki seems to admire both Peko and the Ultimate Imposter for similar reasons.
The ship is somewhat popular in the fandom with a respectable amount of fan art and fiction. However, it is still considered a rarepair as it naturally loses to some of the characters' more popular ships. Some even consider it a crack ship due to the two having minimal interaction. On Archive of our Own, it is currently the second most-written ship for Peko, and the third most-written for Ibuki.
Aesthetically, the similarities of their character designs are able to contrast and match to make edits and clothing swaps. Both girls wear a similar sailor-style uniform with a striped collar, ribbon, and pleated skirt. Peko has silver hair, while Ibuki's is mostly black. Peko's outfit is all black with red accessories, while Ibuki's is primarily white with pink and blue accessories. Both characters' respective eye color also matches their ribbon. Some find these differences and similarities even in their clothing to be attractive.
- Peko has never been shown to have an opinion on Ibuki's music, largely due to the fact that she is one of only two characters who have never been seen attending one of her performances, with the other being the Ultimate Imposter. (Although Ibuki's relationship chart in the art book reveals he isn't a fan.) This has lead to the creation of a headcanon that Peko might actually enjoy Ibuki's music, unlike the majority of their class.
- Throughout Despair Arc, Ibuki is shown to be obsessively observant of the interactions between Peko and Fuyuhiko. At one point, becoming overwhelmed with confusion and demanding to know why they were acting so close. Some fans of the ship interpret this as Ibuki having a crush on Peko, and is jealous of her relationship with Fuyuhiko.
- Ibuki's relationship with Peko on Danganronpa Wiki
- Peko's relationship with Ibuki on Danganronpa Wiki
- They seemingly died back-to-back, until the reveal that Ibuki was actually the second victim of the double victim case in Chapter 3.
- They attended all of their Class Trials together, as Peko was executed as the Blackened at the end of Chapter 2, and Ibuki was one of two victims who were murdered in Chapter 3.
- Ibuki and Peko stand adjacent from each other during Class Trials.
- Both Ibuki and Peko reject Hajime's affection towards them in their respective Island Mode endings.
- Both characters were influenced by two other fictional characters from anime. Ibuki's character was influenced by Yui Hirasawa from K-On!, whom the first syllable of her name is derived from. While Peko's character was influenced by Usagi Tsukino from Sailor Moon, who was the direct inspiration for "Sparkling Justice" and has the same Japanese voice actress as Peko. As further homage to these characters, Ibuki has the same birthdate as Yui, and Peko has the same the birthdate as Usagi.
- Kuzupekobuki refers to the ship between the two and Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu.
- Pekomikibuki refers to the ship between the two and Mikan Tsumiki.
- Peko Protection Squad refers to the ship between the two and Sonia Nevermind.