Hajime and Peko appear to have a mutual respect for each other. Being two of the more level-headed and calculated individuals in their group, they're usually able to cooperate with each other in most situations. Especially during investigations and Class Trials.
During the first Class Trial in Chapter 1, Peko is accused of being the Ultimate Imposter's killer by Kazuichi Soda. When Hajime defends her, Kazuichi accuses him of having a crush on her, which he stutteringly denies.
Throughout Peko's Free Time Events, she is shown to be easily smitten by Hajime, and often blushes whenever he compliments her or gives her a present that she is fond of. It is through these interactions that Peko slowly opens up about herself, exchanging personal stories and discussions of her feelings with Hajime.
While not present in the main game, Hajime does actually develop romantic feelings for Peko during her Free Time Events. At one point, Peko tries to ask Hajime for a favor, but she suddenly becomes flustered and isn't able to. She then says that she needs "more time to prepare herself," and Hajime mistakenly interprets this as Peko being interested in him. Once she's ready, the two meet up at the beach, and Peko reveals that she was going to ask out a "childhood friend" after everyone got off the island, and she wanted to ask Hajime for dating advice. Hajime is upset that Peko doesn't love him back, but he still helps her out by telling her not to overthink things and to just imagine her friend's smiling face. As Peko reminisces about a childhood memory, Hajime remarks in his head that Peko looked cuter than ever, and that he was a little jealous of her childhood friend. However, he was still glad that Peko had opened up to him, as he had no doubt that a strong bond had formed between them.
- “N-No...that's impossible... There's no way Peko is interested in me... There's no way...right?”
- — Hajime wondering if Peko is interested in him.
- “I-I don't know why, but...my heart is racing like crazy...!”
- — Hajime overwhelmed by his feelings for Peko.
- “...I love you, Peko.”
- — Hajime confessing his love to Peko.
- “Every time she said the word "friend", it was like a dagger in my heart...”
- — Hajime upset that Peko only sees him as a friend.
The ship sailed due to Hajime developing a crush on Peko in her Free Time Events. However, it is not very popular in the fandom, mainly because there are several other rival ships that greatly surpass it in popularity. Namely Hinanami, Komahina, and Kuzupeko.
- Peko not returning Hajime's feelings is unique, as she is one of the few characters in the series who are confirmed to not be romantically interested in the protagonist.
- In the official artbook, Hajime describes Peko as a "well-sharpened blade" on her relationship chart.