Ibuki, Mikan and Peko only share a few interactions in canon. During Chapter 1, when Peko offers to be on guard duty, both Mikan and Ibuki express concern over her being left out from the party. Peko ensures them that she doesn't mind, and that she isn't too good in situations where she has to be around a lot of people anyways.
Later in Chapter 2, all three girls collectively agree to restraining Nagito Komaeda, as they believed he was dangerous.
While there doesn't appear to be a significant bond between the three characters, it's worth noting that Ibuki has shown attraction to both Mikan and Peko on more than one occasion. She takes joy in watching Mikan fall into embarrassing poses as she thinks they are adorable. And she also enjoys being around Peko as she finds her to be cool. Mikan and Peko have almost never interacted with each other in canon, but they are at least shown to be on friendly terms, as neither character appears to dislike the other.
The ship likely sailed as a result of indecisiveness from fans of all three ship combinations involving the characters. Another contributor might be how Ibuki expresses attraction to several female characters, with Mikan and Peko being among the more obvious.
The ship isn't exactly "popular" as only a handful of content has been created for it. Although, it still has a decent amount for a poly ship. However, most fans prefer to just ship Ibuki and Mikan together, while Peko is preferred to be shipped with Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu. In addition, Nanatsumioda is arguably a more popular poly ship involving Ibuki and Mikan.
The three girls are commonly seen together. They are shown back-to-back in both versions of the opening for Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. They are the last three profiles listed in the report card, and they are seen standing next to each other during the Free Time section of Island Mode.
- Each character has a different blood type. Mikan is type A, Ibuki is type AB, and Peko is type O.
- All three characters almost died back-to-back, with the progression only being interrupted by Hiyoko Saionji's death between Peko's and Ibuki's.
- During one of Peko's Free Time Events, she talks about a potential "dangerous alliance." If the player asks her if she is referring to Mikan and Ibuki, she answers that they could pose a threat in the sense that they are "completely unpredictable."
- Ibuki and Peko are partly influenced off of two other characters from anime. Yui Hirasawa from K-On!, and Usagi Tsukino from Sailor Moon respectively. Coincidentally, in the American dubbings for both of these shows, both characters are voiced by Mikan's English voice actress, Stephanie Sheh.
- During one of Sakura Ogami's seasonal events in Ultimate Talent Development Plan, each of the three options presented leads to an interaction with either Ibuki, Mikan or Peko.
- Band Aid refers to the ship just between Ibuki and Mikan.
- Pekobuki refers to the ship just between Ibuki and Peko.
- Pekomiki refers to the ship just between Mikan and Peko.