The three girls do not share many interactions in canon, especially not as a group. This is largely due to the fact that Kaede had died fairly early on into the Killing School Semester, and so she was not able to form any lasting bonds with any of the other students. However, while she was alive, Kaede did express sincere kindness towards everyone, including Maki and Tenko. Upon meeting her for the first time, Kaede calls Tenko cute, causing her to blush. Kaede was surprised to learn that Maki was allegedly the Ultimate Child Caregiver, but also said that she believed that children could tell how loving she truly was.
Like many of the other students, Tenko appears to admire Kaede for her straightforwardness, and desire for everyone to cooperate with each other. She is also among the first to agree with her that they should not be fighting amongst themselves. However, in spite of her good nature, Maki does not appear to harbor the same admiration towards Kaede that the others have. Even going as far as to blame her for destroying the group's unity after they had failed to escape through the Death Road of Despair. After being pinned as the culprit behind the death of Rantaro Amami, Tenko attempts to protect Kaede from being executed, alongside Gonta Gokuhara and Kaito Momota. While Maki is one of the few students who were unemotional over her demise, she does display some semblance of remorse for Kaede when it was later discovered that she was framed by the mastermind in Rantaro's murder case.
Following Kaede's death, Maki and Tenko rarely interact with each other throughout the game. However, in Chapter 3, Tenko does go to Maki and Shuichi Saihara to help her stop Angie Yonaga from performing a resurrection ritual, and even considers an offer that Maki makes to kill Angie.
The ship sailed likely due to the popularity of the two ship combinations within the ship that Kaede is involved in. With some fans being unable to choose between them, and thus group all three girls together in a poly ship. Although, it is worth nothing that the ship between Maki and Tenko is also somewhat popular in its own right. Some fans also find the visual aesthetic of the three girls together to be appealing.
There is only a small number of fan-created content dedicated to the poly ship. It currently has over fifteen results on Archive of our Own.
- The birthdates of each character are in back-to-back months. Tenko's birthday is in January, Maki's birthday is in February, and Kaede's birthday is in March.
- All three girls have a different blood type. Kaede is type O, Maki is type A, and Tenko is type B.
- Each of the three girls had a different status in the Killing School Semester. Kaede was (wrongfully) Blackened, Tenko was a victim, and Maki was a survivor.
- Harushira refers to the ship just between Maki and Tenko.
- Nursery Rhymes refers to the ship just between Kaede and Maki.
- Tenkaede refers to the ship just between Kaede and Tenko.