Tenko Chabashira is a character from the Danganronpa fandom.
Tenko Chabashira was a student of the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles and a participant of the Killing School Semester featured in Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony. Her title was the Ultimate Aikido Master.
Wanting to become a spirit medium for the Caged Child ritual so that her crush, Himiko Yumeno, could talk to her recently murdered friend, Angie Yonaga; she becomes the second victim of the double victim case from the third case orchestrated by Korekiyo Shinguji.
However, with the last chapter's reveal, it's unknown exactly how much of Tenko's backstory was fabricated, although it is known that at least their talents were added artificially, meaning that pre-game Tenko may haven't practiced aikido at all or may haven't had a master who accidentally taught her to hate men.
As a result of her canon attraction to Himiko and her intense dislike of men, most of the fans interpret Tenko as homosexual. As a result, ships between her and male characters tend to be unpopular. However, there is a portion of the fanbase that likes to portray her as bisexual or pansexual (with a more female lean of course) and warming up to at least one of the boys, thus changing her views that not all men are bad.
- Chabahara — the ship between Tenko and Shuichi Saihara
- Gonten — the ship between Tenko and Gonta Gokuhara
- Rantenko — the ship between Tenko and Rantaro Amami
- Tenkaito — the ship between Tenko and Kaito Momota
- Tenkiyo — the ship between Tenko and Korekiyo Shinguji
- Tenkouma — the ship between Tenko and Kokichi Oma
- Chabazumi — the ship between Tenko and Mahiru Koizumi
- Harushira — the ship between Tenko and Maki Harukawa
- Tenbuki — the ship between Tenko and Ibuki Mioda
- Tenkaede — the ship between Tenko and Kaede Akamatsu
- Tenkangie — the ship between Tenko and Angie Yonaga
- Tenmikan — the ship between Tenko and Mikan Tsumiki
- Tenmiko — the ship between Tenko and Himiko Yumeno
- Tenmugi — the ship between Tenko and Tsumugi Shirogane
- Tojoshira — the ship between Tenko and Kirumi Tojo
- Mahiyenko — the ship between Tenko, Hiyoko Saionji and Mahiru Koizumi
- Tenkaemaki — the ship between Tenko, Kaede Akamatsu and Maki Harukawa
- Tenkoumami — the ship between Tenko, Kokichi Oma and Rantaro Amami
- Traffic Lights — the ship between Tenko, Angie Yonaga and Himiko Yumeno
Tenko is a rather divisive character in the fandom. Her fans like her for being a representation of LGBTQ+ community, being a cheerful genki girl, being the one to push Himiko on the path to her character development, and possibly for her ship with Himiko.
Meanwhile, her haters dislike her for various reasons. The primary one appears to be her unjustified hatred for men, with her constantly insulting them, suspecting them of being the culprits or having ulterior motives all the time, and wishing they were dead, even though she had good men around her, such as her aikido master, Shuichi Saihara, K1-B0, or Gonta Gokuhara. This is especially criticized for being a double standard, as said comic relief with gender-swapped roles would result in a character becoming universally hated, whereas when a woman hates men some consider it empowering. Said issue is also disliked because Tenko's strong hatred for men turns out to be a result of misunderstanding her master's teachings rather than, as many expected, some tragic backstory involving men that would be likely similar to Kotoko Utsugi's.
Other reasons for her unpopularity include her being mostly a one-dimensional comic relief character and thus lacking more depths, or her unhealthy obsession with Himiko; with both her hit-or-miss comic relief and obsession with Himiko taking up a vast majority of her screentime. Yonameno shippers may also dislike her for getting in the way of their ship.
As a result of her canonical attraction to Himiko and her strong dislike for men, most of the fans interpret her as homosexual. As a result, ships between her and male characters tend to be unpopular and controversial. However, there's also a portion of the fanbase that prefers to interpret her as bisexual or pansexual. They usually write fan fictions where Tenko warms up to one of the boys and as a result grows out of her irrational hatred for men, learning that not all of them are bad.
|107||Traffic Lights||Angie Yonaga/Himiko Yumeno||poly|
|54||Tenko Chabashira & Himiko Yumeno||Himiko Yumeno||gen|
- Her English voice actress, Julie Ann Taylor, also voices Ibuki Mioda.